Healthy tips are various guidelines that ensures the overall good health of an individual. Health is the state of being free from physical, mental and social disorder which is very important to thrive, live a comfortable life and meet our demands in life. When a person is free from diseases such person is said to have a complete good health. Good health is necessary for boosting self-esteem, contributing to economic growth and maintaining good standard of living. However maintaining good health can be sometimes complex and even uncomfortable to some people due to their lifestyle factors. In today’s article we will be discussing the healthy tips for nutrition and lifestyles.
Nutrition and lifestyles healthy tips
The following are the techniques as well as other lifestyles that are necessary to achieve and maintain a good health:
Develop a healthy diet
The act of developing and maintaining healthy diet is one of the best ways of preventing many health conditions and relieving the symptoms of some diseases. Eating good food helps to increase the efficiency of your immune system, prevent unhealthy weight gain and ensure your total well-being. Poor nutrition can increase your risk of obesity and other health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, bone weakness (osteoporosis) and some type of cancer.
In other to improve and maintain a healthy diet the following are foods that you should eat:
- Fruits and vegetables: there are loaded with vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and antioxidants that is necessary to maintain good health. The antioxidant content in fruits and vegetables helps to prevent cell damage that can lead to cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, depression and anxiety. Adding fruits and vegetables to your diet can also boost your immune system to fight against foreign pathogenic organisms. Examples of fruit and vegetables that are healthy include; berries, tomatoes, avocado, apples, mangoes, banana, citrus, pears, watermelon, grapes, cucumber, apricot, gauva, spinach, lettuce and broccoli.
- Whole grains: they contain essential amount of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins minerals and dietary fibres. The health benefits of consuming grains include heart protection, stimulation of healthy weight loss, regulation of blood sugar, reduction of inflammations and lowering of some health risk such as asthma and cancer. Examples of whole grains that should be added to your diet include wheat, oat, brownrice, millets, barley, quinoa, corn, lentils, and beans.
- Poultry: these are domesticated birds that are reared by man for their meats, eggs and other products. Poultry products are generally high proteins, vitamins and minerals that are essential for building of tissues, muscles and bones, protection of heart, provision of energy and simulation of weight loss. Examples of poultry and their products include chickens, turkey, duck, peacocks, guinea fowl, ostrich and eggs.
- Fish and seafoods: they are primarily rich in proteins, vitamins, minerals and low in fat. The help to lower the risk of heart attack, elevate mental health, prevent cancer,strengthen muscles and bones and lower the risk of autoimmune disorder. Examples include salmons, mackerel, tuna, shrimps, prawn, cat fish, cray fish, clams, sea snails and oysters lobster.
- Nuts and Seeds: they contain proteins, vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants.They provide a lot of health benefits which include quick digestion of food, regulation of blood sugar, reduction of inflammation, prevention of cardiovascular disease and boosting of immune system. The list of healthy nuts and seeds include peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds.
- Lean meat and lean pork: they are essentially loaded with proteins, calories, vitamins and minerals. Adding them to your diet can help to build body tissues, improve blood circulation and provide energy.
Drink more water
Water is very important for normal function of the body cells and you should always drink enough water to maintain a good health. The health benefit of drinking water include regulation of body temperature, maintenance of blood pressure, proper function of joint and muscle, treatment of kidney stones and remedies to constipation.
Engage in physical activities
Being active is a crucial healthy tips that should be developed and promoted to stay healthy. Physical activities such as jogging, brisk walking, swimming, push-up and lifting weights help to stimulate good mood, strengthen your muscles and bones, improve brain function and reduce the risk of many health conditions. According to the world health organisation(WHO) regular physical activities along with maintenance of healthy weight gain and healthy nutrition can lower the risk of cancer.
Maintain a healthy weight
Reducing obesity and maintaining healthy weight gain is very important healthy tips as it reduces your risk of many health conditions such as high blood pressure, erectile dyfunction, type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, stroke, asthma and sleep apnea. To enhance weight loss you should eat of more fruits and vegetables, drink a lot of water, avoid high-fat food and also aim at 3 hours of moderate intensity exercise or 75 minutes vigorous intensity exercise per week or combination of both weekly.
Smoking and the use of tobacco products is very dangerous to your health and it can increase the risk of chronic health conditions that can result into untimely death. smoking can put you at the risk of non irreversible lung damage such as lung cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) like emphysema and chronic bronchitis. It can also increase the risk of cardiovascular disease, skin damages, cancer, type 2 diabetes, erectile dyfunction, hypersexual disorder in women. Smoking should be totally avoided to stay healthy and reduce the risk of health problems.
Drink alcohol in moderation or avoid if possible
Alcohol should be taken moderately because excessive intake of it can expose you to cancer, cirrhosis (liver damage), cardiovascular disease, erectile dyfunction and infertility in women.
To control the addiction to alcohol you should practice the following tips:
- Do not join a social gathering that drinking alcohol is involved
- Stop stocking alcohol at homes
- Do not keep friends that are drinkers
- Drink more of milk
- See your doctor for talk therapy if you are a chronic alcohol addict
Pregnant women should not drink alcohol because it can cause serious complications during and after their pregnancy such as low birth weight, miscarriage, premature birth, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and cesarean delivery.
Practice safe sex
The act of engaging in safe sex can make you live longer. Safe sex prevents Sexually transmitted disease(STDs) such as gonorrhea, syphilis, HIV and AIDS which can cause serious health damages. One of the best ways of engaging in safe sex is the use of latex condom and other contraceptive techniques. Practicing safe sex can also help to prevent unplanned pregnancy.
Avoid drug abuse
Drug abuse is the misuse of drug or the use of drugs without doctor’s prescription. It is not just about illegal drugs ( cocaine, heroin and Indian hemp), legal drugs like analgesics can also be abused and this can lead to many health problems. The misuse and long-term use of analgesics such as ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcer, dizziness and nausea while the use of illegal drugs such as cocaine and Indian hemp can affect you psychological by impairing the way you think, your learning ability, nutrition and social life. Drug abuse can result into drug addiction and affect you physically, mentally socially and financially.
Visit the clinic for regular medical check-up
This is another important factor that can prevent sudden breakdown of the body system. Some health conditions such as high blood pressure and STDs do not present symptoms at early stage and this can be very dangerous. Make sure you visit the clinic for medical check-up at least once in a month to know your health status and prevent emergency health problems.
Develop a good sleeping habit
Sleeping and relaxation can improve overall health and increase your lifespan. If you have insomnia (difficulty in sleeping) you should try physical activities and also take honey. This will improve your sleep and maintain your physical and mental health.
Maintain proper hygiene
Improving good and proper hygiene can limit your risk of bacteria, viral, fungal and other pathogenic infections. Improper handling of foods can lead to many foodborne illness such as Escherichia coli infections, Norovirus infections, Campylobacteriosis and Salmonella infections.
Lassa fever is usually spread by rodents and this health condition can be prevented by keeping a clean environment. Coronavirus is also spread through the respiratory droplets of an infected person and this is the reason it is important that you wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer to prevent the infection. Practicing good hygiene is an important healthy tips that should be engaged in to prevent illness and stay healthy.
The following are tips for maintaining good hygiene:
- Handle food properly
- Clear grasses from your environment and use insecticides to eliminate mosquitoes
- Keep your homes and environment tidy and burn refuse to prevent rodents from invading your residence
- Practice regular hand-washing with soap and water
- Wash fruits and vegetables before consuming them
- Drink clean and treated water
- Practice regular bath and brush your teeth daily
- Avoid wearing dirty fabrics because they can expose your skin to infections